Thursday, March 22, 2012

Casual update 2

So, hey, everybody! It's Shatner's 81st! Happy Birthday Captain Kirk!

 Today, I woke up renewed some comic books from the library Mostly a boatload of X-men and Batman this time. I find Batman has many interesting things to say about the disability community if you're looking for that in it. More on that later. Now, I want to talk X-men.
    When I was a kid, everyone wanted to be an X-man. X-men were sympathetic because they could symbolize just about any minority that could be oppressed by robots. Professor X is a hero of mine. The plots were pretty simple, the mutant powers were cool, and it had plenty of action, although they were usually just bustin' up robots since Tod MacFarlane hadn't pushed the Marvel envelope yet, and Frank Miller was I think doing Daredevil. Anyway, in those days it was mainly X-men vs. robots, or the archvillain Magneto. Wolverine got his adamantium skeleton ripped out. But, that was metal. So, why in the heck do they have them nowadays fighting vampires and werewolves? It always seems like in America when we run out of villains like Russians and Germans, we turn to devil figures and monsters for enemies. This whole series now focuses on an event called M-Day, where most mutants were wiped out. I can't say I enjoyed the whole series, but that particular part had good action scenes...even if it was a bit supernaturally heavy. Must Twilight infect everything? Anyway, they seem to be chasing fads when not up against world-threatening foes. I miss the "good ol' days" of the X-men vs. Magneto....because I envisioned everything they were doing as heroic. These days, they're like melodramatic cops, not superheroes.
     Okay, that's a little harsh. But, in my mind a hero is always out for the Good. Additionally, I got some ethnography done at my job counselor's place, Functional Training Services. It felt good to enter into such a diverse group and learn their division of labor, and about the people. Nothing pleases me more than investigating why people do what they do. I'm set to do some ethnography where I live soon, so be on the lookout for that report....In a few weeks.... it will be my first non-collegiate investigation of disability culture, which is deeply invigorating!

Well, that's it for now! Stay tuned!

CB

No comments:

Post a Comment